5 things you need to know about Copyright:
1. Copyright protects, amongst others, literary works, dramatic works, musical works and artistic works.
2. Protection of your works is automatic; there is no need to register it anywhere. Use the copyright symbol © to show you are aware of your rights.
3. There are three requirements for works to be capable of being copyrighted:
a. It must be an original work;
b. It must be borne out of your own skill, labour and judgment; and
c. It must be recorded or fixed in a permanent form.
4. Copyright gives the owner the right to prevent others from using their works without their permission. This can include an action for damages in a court.
5. For literary works, copyright currently lasts the lifetime of the author plus 70 years. Other forms of copyright last for different periods and legal advice should be taken in relation to these.